Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"I'm Just a Broadway Baby"

This is my "relaunch" of my previous theater blog, http://thislifelikedream.blogspot.com/
On that page you will find my "reviews" of the shows I've seen this past year (which are a lot).

I decided to "relaunch" for a few reasons, number one so my gmail account could be attached to this, and so I could start writing more organized/coherent reviews... not to mention getting away from my American Idiot obsession. Now seems to be the time to start with a clean slate with the Tonys happening on Sunday, Idiot being closed and my schedule of seeing shows will be a little less crazy compared to when I'm cramming them in during the school year.

So, a little about me. I'm Kayla. I grew up an hour away from New York City in Northern Westchester going to see Broadway shows quite often with my family since I was 5. My passion for theater lies mainly in musicals, and of the over 100 Broadway shows I've seen since I was 5, most of them have been musicals. Now that I'm supposed to be mature, and go to theater school I try to see plays, and I sometimes even enjoy them and don't fall asleep.

This fall I will be a senior at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts majoring in drama. Specifically, I will be studying Musical Theater at Playwright's Horizons Theater School. My three years of college have had many focuses: the first two years of school a sprinkling of acting, directing and designing, a brief moment my third year when I created a major in musical theater, music therapy and circus, and finally creating a dance piece at the end of junior year. I am beyond excited to finally be studying musical theater in a structured program.

Besides musical theater, I am obsessed with the circus, particularly flying trapeze, and am a frequent flyer at Trapeze School New York in Chelsea.

I will update this blog about the shows I see, mainly Broadway, sometimes off-broadway, and I rarely feel comfortable reviewing downtown theater I see. I also do not believe it is my place to critique the work of my peers at school on the internet.
In addition I will discuss broadway cast recordings that have been released, my favorites that have been out forever, broadway news/ gossip, and other random things relating to New York City and the broadway world.

Alrighty, thats all. Let the musical theater queening out begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment